ITE Chapter 10 Exam Answer 2016
1. A user receives a phone call from a person who claims to represent IT services and then asks that user for confirmation of username and password for auditing purposes. Which security threat does this phone call represent?
- social engineering*
- anonymous keylogging
2. Which two security precautions will help protect a workplace against social engineering? (Choose two.)
- ensuring that each use of an access card allows access to only one user at the time*
- ensuring that all operating system and antivirus software is up to date
- encrypting all sensitive data stored on the servers
- performing daily data backups
- registering and escorting all visitors to the premises*
3. What are two typical physical security precautions that a business can take to protect its computers and systems? (Choose two.)
- Perform daily data backups.
- Replace any software firewalls with a hardware firewall.
- Implement biometric authentication.*
- Ensure that all operating system and antivirus software is up to date.
- Disable the autorun feature in the operating system.*
4. Which physical security technology can hold user authentication information, include software license protection, provide encryption, and provide hardware and software authentication that is specific to the host system?
- biometric authentication
- Trusted Platform Module (TPM)*
- card key access
- two-factor security
5. It has been noted that the computers of employees who use removable flash drives are being infected with viruses and other malware. Which two actions can help prevent this problem in the future? (Choose two.)
- Set virus protection software to scan removable media when data is accessed.*
- Configure the Windows Firewall to block the ports that are used by viruses.
- Enable the TPM in the CMOS settings.
- Repair, delete, or quarantine the infected files.
- Disable the autorun feature in the operating system.*
6. In which situation would a computer technician use the fixmbr command at the command prompt of a Windows XP computer to resolve a security issue?
- when unauthorized users have changed the CMOS settings and the CMOS password must be reset
- when a virus has damaged the master boot record of the system disk*
- when a virus has damaged the boot sector of the system disk
- when the folder permissions for user members of a group are incorrect
7. All users working with a particular Windows 7 computer are able to install unauthorized software. In addition to educating the users about correct security behavior, which action should also be performed to solve this issue?
- Set the user folder permissions to Deny.
- Disable the users’ accounts.
- Change the user file permissions to Read Only.
- Enable UAC on the computer.*
8. You want to dispose of a 2.5 terabyte hard drive that contains confidential financial information. What is the recommended procedure to achieve this?
- Use data wiping.
- Drill through the HDD.
- Smash the platters with a hammer.*
- Immerse the HDD in a weak solution of bicarbonate of soda.
9. What is the most effective way of securing wireless traffic?
- SSID hiding
- wireless MAC filtering
10. Which two items are used in asymmetric encryption? (Choose two.)
- a token
- a TPM
- a private key*
- a DES key
- a public key*
11. Which two characteristics describe a worm? (Choose two.)
- hides in a dormant state until needed by an attacker
- infects computers by attaching to software code
- executes when software is run on a computer
- is self-replicating*
- travels to new computers without any intervention or knowledge of the user*
12. Which type of security threat uses email that appears to be from a legitimate sender and asks the email recipient to visit a website to enter confidential information?
- stealth virus
13. Which three questions should be addressed by organizations developing a security policy? (Choose three.)
How should future expansion be done?
- What are the possible threats to the assets of the organization?*
- What is to be done in the case of a security breach?*
- When do the assets need protecting?
- What assets require protection?*
- What insurance coverage is required?
14. What does a malware detection program look for when running a scan?
- a service pack
- patterns in the programming code of the software on a computer*
- mirror sites
- patches that prevent a newly discovered virus or worm from making a successful attack
15. Port triggering has been configured on a wireless router. Port 25 has been defined as the trigger port and port 113 as an open port. What effect does this have on network traffic?
- Any traffic that is using port 25 going out of the internal network will also be allowed to transmit out port 113.
- All traffic that is sent into port 25 to the internal network will also be allowed to use port 113.
- All traffic that is sent out port 25 will open port 113 to allow inbound traffic into the internal network through port 113.*
- Any traffic that comes into port 25 allows outgoing port 113 to be used.
16. Which two characteristics of network traffic are being monitored if a network technician configures the company firewall to operate as a packet filter? (Choose two.)
- packet size
- physical addresses
- packet speed
17. What is the primary goal of a DoS attack?
- to facilitate access to external networks
- to prevent the target server from being able to handle additional requests*
- to scan the data on the target server
- to obtain all addresses in the address book within the server
18. Which question would be an example of an open-ended question that a technician might ask when troubleshooting a security issue?
- Have you scanned your computer recently for viruses?
- What symptoms are you experiencing?*
- Did you open any attachments from a suspicious email message?
- Is your security software up to date?
19. Which action would help a technician to determine if a denial of service attack is being caused by malware on a host?
- Install rogue antivirus software on the host.
- Log on to the host as a different user.
- Disable ActiveX and Silverlight on the host.
- Disconnect the host from the network.*
20. A technician is troubleshooting a computer security issue. The computer was compromised by an attacker as a result of the user having a weak password. Which action should the technician take as a preventive measure against this type of attack happening in the future?
- Ensure the security policy is being enforced.*
- Check the computer for the latest OS patches and updates.
- Scan the computer with protection software.
- Verify the physical security of all offices.
21. A user has reported that a computer web browser will not display the correct home page even if the default page is reset. What is the likely cause of this problem?
- A virus has damaged the boot sector of the system disk.
- The computer has been infected with spyware.*
- UAC has been disabled on the computer.
- Folder permissions have been changed from Deny to Allow.
22. What is the name given to the programming-code patterns of viruses?
- virus definition tables