CCNA 1 Chapter 3
1. A computer in a given network is communicating with a specific group of computers. What type of communication is this?
2. What method can be used by two computers to ensure that packets are not dropped because too much data is being sent too quickly?
- flow control
- access method
- response timeout
3. Which protocol is responsible for controlling the size and rate of the HTTP messages exchanged between server and client?
4. A user is viewing an HTML document located on a web server. What protocol segments the messages and manages the segments in the individual conversation between the web server and the web client?
5. A web client is sending a request for a webpage to a web server. From the perspective of the client, what is the correct order of the protocol stack that is used to prepare the request for transmission?
- HTTP, IP, TCP, Ethernet
- HTTP, TCP, IP, Ethernet
- Ethernet, TCP, IP, HTTP
- Ethernet, IP, TCP, HTTP
6. What are proprietary protocols?
- protocols developed by private organizations to operate on any vendor hardware
- protocols that can be freely used by any organization or vendor
- protocols developed by organizations who have control over their definition and operation
- a collection of protocols known as the TCP/IP protocol suite
7. Which IEEE standard enables a wireless NIC to connect to a wireless AP that is made by a different manufacturer?
8. What is an advantage of network devices using open standard protocols?
- Network communications is confined to data transfers between devices from the same vendor.
- A client host and a server running different operating systems can successfully exchange data.
- Internet access can be controlled by a single ISP in each market.
- Competition and innovation are limited to specific types of products.
9. What is a function of Layer 4 of the OSI model?
- to specify the packet type to be used by the communications
- to apply framing information to the packet, based on the attached media
- to represent data to the user, including encoding and dialog control
- to describe the ordered and reliable delivery of data between source and destination
10. Which statement is true about the TCP/IP and OSI models?
- The TCP/IP transport layer and OSI Layer 4 provide similar services and functions.
- The TCP/IP network access layer has similar functions to the OSI network layer.
- The OSI Layer 7 and the TCP/IP application layer provide identical functions.
- The first three OSI layers describe general services that are also provided by the TCP/IP internet layer.
11. What is a benefit of using a layered model for network communications?
- fostering competition among device and software vendors by enforcing the compatibility of their products
- enhancing network transmission performance by defining targets for each layer
- avoiding possible incompatibility issues by using a common set of developing tools
- simplifying protocol development by limiting every layer to one function
12. What is the general term that is used to describe a piece of data at any layer of a networking model?
- protocol data unit
13. Which PDU format is used when bits are received from the network medium by the NIC of a host?
14. At which layer of the OSI model would a logical address be encapsulated?
- physical layer
- data link layer
- network layer
- transport layer
15. Which statement accurately describes a TCP/IP encapsulation process when a PC is sending data to the network?
- Data is sent from the internet layer to the network access layer.
- Packets are sent from the network access layer to the transport layer.
- Segments are sent from the transport layer to the internet layer.
- Frames are sent from the network access layer to the internet layer.
16. What statement describes the function of the Address Resolution Protocol?
- ARP is used to discover the IP address of any host on a different network.
- ARP is used to discover the IP address of any host on the local network.
- ARP is used to discover the MAC address of any host on a different network.
- ARP is used to discover the MAC address of any host on the local network.
17. Which address provides a unique host address for data communications at the internet layer?
- data-link address
- logical address
- Layer 2 address
- physical address
18. Which address does a NIC use when deciding whether to accept a frame?
- source IP address
- source MAC address
- destination IP address
- destination MAC address
- source Ethernet address
19. Which protocol is used by a computer to find the MAC address of the default gateway on an Ethernet network?
20. If the default gateway is configured incorrectly on the host, what is the impact on communications?
- The host is unable to communicate on the local network.
- The host can communicate with other hosts on the local network, but is unable to communicate with hosts on remote networks.
- The host can communicate with other hosts on remote networks, but is unable to communicate with hosts on the local network.
- There is no impact on communications.
21. Match the description to the organization. (Not all options are used.)
22. Open the PT Activity. Perform the tasks in the activity instructions and then answer the question.
Based on the configured network, what IP address would PC1 and PC2 use as their default gateway?